Preserving foods, making them more digestible and more nutritious, is an artisanal process that can’t be beat for enhancing the living structure of our foods.
Fermented foods carry beneficial probiotic bacteria directly into our digestive systems, where they replenish and diversify our microbiota.
Other benefits include:
1. Better bowel function
2. Protection against infections
3. Provides vitamins, minerals and enzymes
4. In Europe, used as a Cancer therapy
5. Alkalizes the blood
1. Chop your beets into ½ inch cubes. Do not shred.
2. Place them into a 1 liter jar, filling the jar 1/3 with beets.
3. Add 1 Tablespoon grated ginger
4. Add 1 Tablespoon grated orange peel
5. Add 1 Teaspoon sea salt
6. Add filtered water to the top of the jar, leaving about 1 inch. Stir.
7. Some people add a little whey or sauerkraut juice as a starter, but the beets have all the necessary bacteria to ferment.
Cover and let sit on your counter for 2-3 days. If temperatures are warmer, beet kvass will process quicker. In cooler temperatures, it may take up to a week. When the liquid turns a very deep burgundy, your beet Kvass is ready. Strain out the beets, then place in the juice in the fridge.
Start our drinking 1/4 cup a day, working your way up as you tolerate.
To your health!